Photo credit: © Tony Nandi 2012

Compass is a compelling new work produced by Sadler’s Wells Creative Learning department, Connect. It brings together an impressive creative team with a cast of over 100 dancers, including the critically acclaimed Company of Elders, students from leading dance schools and community groups from East, South, West and North London.Set to an original score composed by Hannah Peel and Donna McKevitt and accompanied by arresting visual imagery by film maker Tal Rosner, Compass shows us that although we live in one city, within that city can be many worlds, and as many routes to ‘home’ as we choose.Choreographed by some of Sadler’s Wells’ finest associate and visiting companies, including Jasmin Vardimon Company, Matthew Bourne’s New Adventures, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui’s Eastman and Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, this exciting performance promises to be a true reflection of the capital’s cultural diversity in its Olympic year.


Connect is the Creative Learning department for Sadler's Wells with a track record for producing innovative and imaginative projects. It aims to inspire and excite people about dance through its activities for individuals, organisations, schools and youth clubs.

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Diary Entry, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui's Eastman with the Community Group, Rose

When I was invited to join the community group I had a rush of enthusiasm, ‘yes!’. No sooner had the word left my mouth, a wave of terror ran through me – what had I let myself in for?  Was I really wiling to dance in front of an audience?  I must be mad!  I spent the weeks waiting for the first rehearsal in a state of nervous anticipation.

I don’t know what I was expecting, but I had no reason to be such a drama queen!  The space created by Helder and Nienke from Eastman has been wonderfully supportive and encouraging.  Few of us knew each other at the beginning and over the weeks our relationships are growing through the dance; we’re getting to know each other through movement rather than words, and it’s creating a wonderful sense of trust and playfulness.

I’m loving the balance of structure and exploration that Nienke and Helder provide.  The structured choreography has given me the chance to explore the quality of movement through repetition.  As my confidence grows I’m not just remembering what movement comes next, I’m realising the subtleties of mood and how to define the rhythm of the moves.  The exploration of movement has felt hugely creative, and I’ve been amazed at what has grown from working together with Laura and Juliette, other members of the group.

For me the most challenging aspect of the project is accepting that I’m a beginner.  I watch professional dancers and I imagine that I could dance like them, I so want to be able to dance like them!  They make it look so easy and I don’t see the years of practice and training, I just see how I’d love to move myself.  But this project has proved to me that even though I’ll never be a professional dancer, dancing is still hugely rewarding and enjoyable, and a wonderful way to explore and express with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment